Monday 4 June 2012

Trivial things-ponutti at 13 and 14th months

“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.” -Daphne du Maurier
This is what I keep wishing when I see her do little things like humming and smiling while I put her to bed. Ever since her bday, ponuttis' been climbing anything she lays eyes on. She has even learned to point out things like dog,book,egg, dress,duck,head from a book; that I bought for; which was one of my happiest and exciting moments these recent times as physical endeavours like sitting,walking climbing has been achieved earlier. Yesterday when we went to a party, she saw a dog on the street and was saying 'ah-boo'.She is slowly adding words to her vocabulary which is the next thing that Im seriously looking forward to.

 Today when I closed the bedroom door leaving her alone, I'd peeped through the keyhole to check what she was upto and to my surprise, she was lying there on the bed watching underneath the door to confirm if I were there or were my footsteps fading. I sometimes wonder how her little brain works because today evening while I was adding scoops of milk powder chanting 1 scoop ,2 scoop ; all of sudden from nowhere she said 'THEE' emphasising the words even more ; letting me know that she has added another feather to her cap of achievements while I stood there stupified!!
Eating in front of her has become next to impossible, without giving her fair share of the food. She keeps asking maamum or aamum when she needs the next bite especiallywhen we eat something that we dont have on a regular basis like chocolate,chips etc. I remember a time when feeding her cow's milk was a herculean effort eventually resulting in a milk bath.But she has also learned to assert her independence in many ways . She would nod her head 'no' when she doesnt want anything in particualr ; especially if its food. Not that she is a picky eater,she just wants to emphasise her say on things around her.

After having recently send her to a daycare, our visit to kerala was not so good, as expected, especially amidst the wedding preparations. Ponutti almost dreaded the thought of being with her relatives even in our presence.She was inhibiting too much of herself that at one point when we were just the three of us in the car she nearly let out a sigh of relief and was her usual self. I guess, she was relieved that we were, atleast for awhile, in our own 'Small Happy World'. Guess the book Im reading on her currently was right after all about the seperation anxiety these toddlers experience from 14-18 months.

One of the fun times we have now is the chase game that we play. She would chase around the crib or dining table and I'll not give up,like I was playing with my old buddy,and she gets all excited by this.She makes this funny noise,more like a laugh,when she is super happy.Our day ends with ponutti helping me brush her teeth which also helps her indicate that its bedtime, to my relief. There are these few indications like this one and another one where when I put her in her feeding chair,she knows she'll be getting food soon and will be less cranky.These help us understand each other and the message is sent clear as well. It also helps build a sense of discipline, hopefully!!

5 comments:

  1. If you watch her closely you will find it more surprising and very exciting experience And the feelings you get cannot be explained in words. That is the beautiful part of our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ....its indeed overwhelming to be a parent of a baby who is already a robber of hearts!!

      Delete
  2. She is a little sweetheart :)) Although you gave the title "Trivial things - ",I shud say this is the one I loved reading the most:D Awaiting more viseshamss in your beautiful writing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the beautiful comments :)...Im also looking forward to writing more of her activities:)

      Delete
    2. Guess Im improving on my writing skills;)And definitely, happiness comes in small packages!!

      Delete