Wednesday 18 October 2017

When my girl ate the 'my little pony'

I first came across the 'my little pony' series as a little girl because of my sister. My earliest memory was of pink and blue ponies sliding the rainbow thronging sweet green meadows but I don't recall watching the episodes with such intensity of heart. My sister did.

That was 20 years ago !

My girl, P, stumbled upon a new, revamped version of the 'my little pony' on TV when we visited my birth city last year on a holiday. Twilight sparkle, rainbow dash rang a vague distant bell in my head as my ears caught them. But I soon came to realise, after we'd gotten back to India from the holiday, that the series entertained the very forest of her being.

Nearly a year later, P and I had this conversation out of the blue.

"Who do you like in the 'my little pony'? Midnight Luna, Cadence or Celestia?", she asked
I'm familiar with the names as I've watched the series with her more than a couple of times but not with an intensity of the heart as she did.

I replied, 'Well, I like black and blue. And the stars and the moon and the night.'

"Ok, ok. Do you know why it is ok to like Midnight Luna?"

She didn't wait for my response. She needed none.

"Because she sometimes changes into nightmare moon."

'Ok. So?'

It sounded incredulous to my heart but I silently looked forward to something deep or metaphorical that would whisk my brain in a storm like she usually does. With her words. With her perspectives.

I wasn't disappointed.

"See, when she becomes Nightmare moon, she wants everyone to appreciate the moon. And then Celestia (a powerful pony that brought in the Day) would say, 'Nightmare moon, can you please stop making just the moon be there? There should be night AND day!' So only when she turns to Nightmare moon will she understand that there must be a night AND a day."

I see where this is going.

I identify the wisdom soaked in those words. These ponies have overtaken her very soul these days. She is creating an abundance inside of her by sucking the very cosmos of their philosophy into her bowels, changing the coordinates of my understanding of this cartoon series.

I always knew fantasy was sometimes her only conduit to wrap her head around reality.

When times were desperate in school at the beginning of Grade I, I could only reach out to her as Eeyore. I had to become this fictional character for her school stories to surge out of her.

She rambles on.

"And sometimes, Twilight Sparkle also gets to teach Nightmare moon to be understanding."

I was all ears now.

"She uses her five elements of harmony to do that. The cutie marks from Twilight Sparkle and her friends (marks present on one side of their rears that defines each pony) become balls and a sixth element turns into a crown. The magic when they all get together will spin and cover Nightmare moon. Celestia will come down and turn Nightmare Moon to her real Midnight Luna."

'But why would Celestia wait till then? She could have descended before that, right? I mean, the ponies are so small, they could use some help.'

"No, Amma! If Celestia were to come then, these ponies will not see the power of their friendship. Nightmare moon will not understand the elements of harmony and friendship!"

'Ah, I see how it is !', I thought to myself.

All this is worship. And with worship, we stay near beauty and enlightenment.

How her heart peers into the hearts of her beloved ponies, I shall only understand if a great gusto of passion were to swirl inside of me.

"Amma, can we watch an episode of my little pony together? Then, you'll see."

I sat beside her and typed the words into the search bar. I clicked on an episode link on the results and eagerly awaited to see what she saw.

Although, I already saw it with a heart in my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment